The Covenant Church Program supports Habitat for Humanity’s goal to eliminate poverty housing throughout the world and make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. The program shapes the commitment between the local church or parish and Habitat for Humanity, forming a partnership to build simple, decent houses with those in need. Habitat hopes to build new relationships and a sense of community, while building houses. A Covenant Church can support Habitat in the following ways:
- Pray for the ministry of Habitat for Humanity.
- Participate in the International Day of Prayer and Action for Human Habitat, observed each year during the third weekend in September.
- Provide the volunteer labor and/or funds to build all or part of a Habitat House.
- Work with a coalition of Churches to provide the volunteer labor and/or funds to build all of a Habitat House.
- Provide lunches at job sites for a Habitat house.
- Spread the word about Habitat for Humanity of Portage County’s ministry throughout the community.
- Provide local volunteers for Habitat construction projects, office support and committee work.
- Organize members of the congregation to participate in building projects outside the community or in another country.
- Study the issue of simple, decent housing within the congregation using Habitat for Humanity resources.
- Provide financial support for Habitat for Humanity.
Contact us today to sign up your church or find out more information!